Duration: 2 Years
The operating theatre (OT) technician is an important person of the team in the Operation theatre. Its a 2-year diploma program designed to build a trained and qualified professional who will assist medical professionals in the operation theatre, intensive care units and emergency departments.
- Students will understand the role and scope of the operation theatre technology in the healthcare setting with respect to the preoperative and postoperative care of the patient.
- Students will develop skills necessary to identify the treatment procedures and requirements based on various surgeries or operating procedures.
- Students will be able to educate patients on strategies to prepare the patient coming for the operational procedures.
- Students will develop continuous professional and technical growth so as to become a professional and successful team leader.
- Students wi
- l be able to apply principles of safe practice in operation theatre technology.
- Students will be able to demonstrate skills in the maintenance of complete operation theatre rooms.
Upon the completion of the course student will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge and skills of handling operation theatre room to provide safe and effective care to individual undergoing operational procedures.
- Demonstrate relative knowledge and understanding of vital parameters to be maintained during respective operations.
- Skills to access, analyze and evaluate the information gathered during the treatment.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, organize and report different diagnosis related to treatment.
- Assesses the patient for any complications with an understanding of the problem and recognizes the need to report the complications to the surgery.
- Understand professional and ethical responsibilities in inpatient care.
- Responds effectively to the physical and emotional needs of the patient undergoing surgical treatment.
- Understanding of standard operating procedures and protocols for treatment/research work.
- Develop skills of good clinical practice as an individual and as a team member.
- Use of recent technologies to provide better healthcare services.
- Identify and apply the new development in operation theatre technology through continuing education and research.
Human anatomy & physiology
Surgical equipment & machinery
Advanced operation theatre instrument care & maintenance
Basic anesthesia equipment & drugs
Basic and clinical pharmacology
Biomedical waste management
Common operations and laying of instrument trolleys:
Pediatric, cardio thoracic & vascular,
Postanesthesia care unit (PACU) anesthesia technology and microbiology.
Diploma holders will find a challenging career in hospitals, emergency centers and private laboratories. They work in the operating theatres, ICUs and emergency departments of hospitals and nursing homes. Openings are available in the areas of transplant teams, orthopedic clinics, gynecology sections, cancer units, surgery, special care baby units etc. and also in the field of research, education, and training. They are appointed in the workplaces of physicians or dentists who perform outpatient surgery.
The candidate shall have passed 10+2 in the science stream with physics, chemistry, and biology as compulsory subjects.